Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lights Out

Jay and I have no E-Mail at home right now. In Ruralville where we live we have only Internet option A and Internet option B and I have almost lost what is left of my mind trying to deal with A. Hopefully on to B in October. I'm posting from Jay's school this morning in hopes I can buy myself some time and that my 2 remaining readers won't give up entirely.

We had a tremendous rainstorm yesterday. No thunder or lightning, just steady rain all day long. In the evening we invited some friends over for chowder and cornbread. The Garcia family from our branch are good friends with whom Jay and I can practice our Spanish with no fear of scorn or mortification (I'm the only one who need worry about scorn and mort - Jay can still hold his own quite nicely). Also in attendance was out good friend, Francis Lizotte, who is a mentally challenged fellow about Jay's age whom our family has adopted. We had a nice dinner and later Jay and Fernando (Garcia father) left to take Francis back home. While they were gone the electricity went out and we were plunged into pitch blackness. Because this is not a terribly rare occasion I knew exactly where the flashlight was and we all cozied up in the family room. Cozying up anywhere in our house is easy because we don't have a single room in our entire house as big as JeNeale's master bathroom not including shower and closet. I brought out a fairy tale book that my mom used to read from when I was a child and we read in the dark The Six Travelers, Thick-Headed Jack, and The Twelve Dancing Princesses. When the daddies returned Fernando threatened to do what they do in Ecuador. They tell the children scary stories so that they are afraid to get out of bed. Hmm...I like it. Lacey Grace was downright terrified at the very mention of such an idea and may never trust Fernando, one of the nicest men I know, again. When it was time to go, Ryan, one of their teenagers asked to stay a little longer. The ultimate compliment - a teenager wanting to spend more time with a middle-aged couple and their young family. All of our children said as we were getting ready for bed that night by lantern light, "That was so much fun!" I couldn't agree more.

Favorite quote from Francis Lizotte, a devout Catholic on the issue of me not having developed film with pictures of him that he was eager to see, spoken with deep disappointment and with courage, "That's alright. I'm gracious, generous and merciful." Thank goodness because I still have some mission film I need to develope.

8 comments:

Jay Hill said...

Francis, who was deeply concerned about making me feel embarrassed when Lauralee tried to make me show my abnormally huge calves to the dinner party last night, is a huge fan of long sleeve, dark blue, Dickies work shirts. Short sleeves will not do.

JeNeale said...

I'm so excited to read a new post from you, Laur. I have been missing you terribly since you went home, and I have been craving a new story. I love Francis, and I haven't met him! Your children are having some very unique experiences in NH that I am very envious of. I'm glad you are a good journal writer. Could you keep a journal on my family, too, since I'm so bad? I love you!

And Jay, those calves are pretty impressive. Please tell Francis that I hate short sleeves as well. Smith arms. . .

Unknown said...

I, like JeNeale, am so glad that you are back on your blog. You are such a good story writer. I can't wait until you guys move back closer to us but I think that you are getting some real unique experiences in NH.

I met Frances one night at cub scouts. He can over to talk to me and wanted to tell me how much he liked Jay.

I like winter so I don't have to wear short sleeves!!!

Laurie Nelson said...

I am so glad that Jay has a computer at work so that we could read something from you. Thanks for sharing your fun adventure. Isn't it wonderful when the power goes out and we have to fall back on those things that bring us closest to each other. I happen to know quite a few teenagers that would love to spend hours with you.

Ada's Girl said...

Glad you're back at it. Sounds like NH will bring good memories for years to come.

The Hills said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging!! And I love knowing that someone besides me gets to sit in the dark and not have internet/ Love you!

Allyson said...

Lauralee! Jay gave me your blog address! I miss you guys! It was fun to read your blog posts. Jay said you were a great and wasn't kidding. It's not surprising. You are just an eloquent individual. I'm glad your family is healthy (sounds like) and well. It'd be fun to catch up. Those New Hampshire-ans are blessed to have your family around. My blog address is allysonandfamily.blogspot.com I have some pictures of my family on there...but for the rest, it's not too exciting. I just did a post on people who I love. I said I left lots of people out only because I couldn't keep going. If it were a complete list, you'd definitely be included! I've always thought you were wonderful and have admired your strength and grace. Your kids are fortunate to have both of you as their parents!

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend! What a beautiful way of expressing yourself! I hope that you will be able to blog more because I would LOVE to join your readers! I have a Christmas card on my desk that I wanted to send to the Hills, but I didn't know where to send it! I seriously feel motivated and inspired today from hearing your voice through your blog. I'd love to keep in touch this year--we have a family blog on this link and our e-mail is carriefinlinson@yahoo.com.
Love to you--Carrie