Sunday, May 17, 2009

Gifts

For Mother's Day this year I received some outstanding gifts. From my 11-year-old son, Topher, I got a colorful hand-sculpted leaf that I can use to hold paperclips or my wedding ring. It could be used as a paperweight or simply be admired as a work of art. It was wrapped and labeled in his hand with a caligraphy pen. I love this gift and love that he was so pleased to present it.

From Ronan I received a 2-dimensional bouquet of flowers. Each flower can be removed and on the back of each is written something that Ronan will do for me. Ronan cracks me up because once before I received coupons from him that entitled me to Watch a movie with Ronan or Eat candy with Ronan or Play video games with Ronan. You get the picture. The coupons this year entitle me to 1. Cleaning my room (his, not mine), 2. Rinsing the dishes only (his exact words), and 3. A trip to the library with Ronan. For the record, he already cleans his room every day and while he occasionally rinses he also wipes down the table, takes out the trash, puts leftovers in tupperware, and helps to dry the dishes. Rinsing is the job everybody wants and the youngest child, Lacey Grace, almost always gets. Hmmm...... Going to the library is definitely a fun and rewarding way to spend time with Ronan except that I usually also have to take 20-month-old Lincoln as well to this place where everything is in alphabetical order and also at his eye level. I am, contrary to what you may think after this paragraph, a very big fan of Ro's coupon gifts, mainly because in giving them, he gives me a wonderful gift he has no knowledge of, the gift of laughter.

Lacey Grace gave a plethora of gifts this year. From school she brought a butterfly feeder and some sugar water to put on the front lawn.
In addition I had a little card made by her. When she saw how delighted I was with this gift other gifts came pouring in: a little paper crown with carefully cut knobs on top that we were to share, I would wear it on Mother's Day and she would wear it on her birthday, a nativity scene made out of paper and glued like a diarama in a cardboard box for my bedroom, a paper charm strung on nylon string to be worn as a necklace, and a recipe card written with her best handwriting and spelling that said, "I will giv inethie to mack you hape," (I will give anything to make you happy. Lacey Grace, you just did.

These are the kind of gifts I have been waiting all my life to receive. How is it that a semi-garish ceramic leaf, a coupon bouquet, and a misspelled note can mean so very much to this heart of mine? This year, my cup runneth over.

7 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

simple gifts are the best.

Anonymous said...

You are beloved!!! My favorite line of this blog is "I've been waiting my whole life to receive gifts like this." They are so lucky to have you.

JeNeale said...

Your children are much like their mom, sensitive and thoughtful. So what does that say about my naughty children? Darn it.

Bryan Wilde said...

Our 13 year old daughter gave my wife a Night-on-the-Town for Mother's Day: A paid ticket to the new Hannah Montana Movie when it arrives at the dollar theater, accompanied by her thoughtful, selfless daughter. Gotta love 'em.

Marilyn R Miller said...

I finally got your folks blog so I can see the halo, and also clicked onto your blog! Good to have you added as a favorite! I too,am working on my 1st 100 rejections from publishers.... You are one ahead of me.... I look forward to seeing you this summer! Marilyn

Ada's Girl said...

Wonderful gifts. A treasure like no other. Glad you had a happy mother's day.

LTurner said...

Lauralee-

Glad to read about your family...hope all is well in the great Northeast.

Lane