Wednesday, January 21, 2009

On turning 40

I may be in the minority, but there are some things I love about growing older. While I'm a little dismayed by the changes in my metabolism and skin, I figure those things are trade-offs for much better gifts. Over the next little while I want to consider some of the things I've traded my youth for and remember to be glad.

The thing I love most about getting older is the rich association I share with so many great people. When I was 18 I had a handful of friends and family members who enriched my life. When I turned 40 last week I realized I am blessed with a great multiplying of that number. I have a husband I nearly always adore, children of my own, brothers and sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews, a mom-in-law whose friendship I cherish, and hundreds of dear, dear friends met along the path of life in the various circumstances and places I have found myself. These people are in addition to my parents, siblings, grandparents, and the childhood friends of my late teens and early twenties. How could I ever exchange these people and the rich memories of their love and friendship for my youth? I love the memories made on my mission in the Dominican Republic walking down dusty streets and teaching by lantern-light people who were my spiritual equals and in many cases, my superiors. I loved my courtship and subsequent marriage to Jay and fondly remember our years in the student wards. The gang of friends we made and loved there helped support us through the loss of our first daughter and after all these years I still value and sometimes crave their companionship. All the family members who have come into the Burton family and the Hill family since and during our marriage have brought their own share of joy, comradery, and love. I think of them one by one as I write this and feel so grateful. The neighbors and ward members in Boise, Salt Lake City, and New Hampshire have contributed so much to the richness of my life. I almost hate lumping everyone together in such broad categories because I think of all these people in a most individual way and remember the personal ways they have touched and improved my life. Truly, how could I ever long to be 19 again? Things are ever so much more beautiful now.

6 comments:

Ada's Girl said...

Every birthday is a blessing; another time to celebrate lessons learned and reflect on the joys, disappointments,losses and founds of the previous years. When I turned 40 I finally felt like an adult. Happy Birthday dear friend. The 40's are great!

snakeriverwalton said...

How can blog entries make me tear up. Ryan and I were just remembering the other day our overnight with all the old friends in 1996- was it at Jay's uncle's ranch? Anyway, good memories. We miss the old times too, but like you, I don't think I'd trade them in on now. The old adage that time flies is truer thatn i ever realized. Congrats on the 40 mark!

Marisa said...

Congrats on turning 40! I love your post and as I read your post, I thought of all the lives that *you* have touched along the way. I'm sure all can say they're better people because they've known you. Love you lots and hope you're settling in well at home.

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for writing this. I love it. You're so right. You've turned my fear of 40 upside down today. I, too, feel grateful for the relationships that make up all the years of my life! Happy birthday!

Laurie Nelson said...

Since I am considerably older than you, I am falling apart at a faster rate but I agree with you that I cherish the many things that I have learned along the way.

JeNeale said...

I totally agree. I need to spend more time counting my blessings and less time counting calories. After all, what's eternal? I'm glad you have joined the 40 club. I hope we enjoy them together. Love you.