Thursday, April 30, 2009

I'm still alive, just have been a little busier than usual these past few weeks. Don't give up on me.

I set a goal to post every rejection letter I get when I submit my writing for publishing. I just got my second official rejection letter. It's from the Ensign (my first was from The Friend about this time last year) and it's very gracious as you'll soon see. My Friend rejection crushed me a little. To say it was concise is a gross understatement. It was one sentence long. After that initial blow, I've toughened up a bit. My friend, Mindy Johnson, encouraged me by telling me that an author she admires got over 100 rejections on the same manuscript before it was finally accepted. So I've decided in the spirit of Inigo Montoya that I must relish rejection, rejoice in rejection, revel in rejection because every rejection brings me closer to success. At least, that's what I'm telling myself. (Remember how saying, "Hello, My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!" over and over again gave that plucky swordsman courage?) But for Pete's sake, I've got to work harder and faster to get my 100 rejections. At the rate I'm currently going I'll be 139 years old before anyone considers publishing anything that I write. (The millenium, maybe?) Anyway, here it is.

Dear Author:

Thank you very much for sending us your submission. It is a pleasure to see new material. Every piece received is individually reviewed by the editorial staff.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to publish your work. Because of limited magazine space and the increasing number of such submissions as the Church grows, the Church magazines are able to publish only a very small percentage of the many good items received. We regret that the time it takes to process hundreds of incoming submissions does not allow us to make comments about each one individually.

Please accept our thanks for the time and effort put into your work. We know that submissions like yours are goodwill offerings in support of the Church. We hope the work that has gone into this one will be a benefit to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Ensign Editorial Staff

8 comments:

Josie said...

Wow, Laur! I find it so cool that you've submitted some of your writing to the church magazines. I love your positive outlook. Don't give up! I'm looking forward to seeing an article by you one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Oh! You are my soul sister! I've known it all along! I experienced a rejection letter just a couple of months ago for a Family Fun article I was SURE the editors would love. (I've NEVER done anything like that before and I just expected it would work out!) I am going to be like you and adopt Iego Montoya as my hero! Lauren and I went to a book store night where Shannon Hale (the author of "Goose Girl") spoke. She brought us a HUGE laminated roll of all of her rejection letters. It was like a long carpet that stretched across the entire room. I believe in you! I would LOVE to read your story. I can't imagine how anyone could turn down something you've written.

snakeriverwalton said...

I like the last paragraph. it's building. Keep at it!

Rachel said...

Lauralee, my sister Mylisa has been writing REALLY GOOD stuff since she was 11 (she'll disagree, but she is extremely talented and has been educating herself in the "art" for as long as I can remember. She was just rewarded with her first publication (of an essay she worked on for years)to a very small magazine. She said when she got her first check, it was so small, for such emotional output,that she couldn't stop laughing. You just keep "publishing" to your friends and family, because we are, for certain, your biggest fans!

Ada's Girl said...

"Keep on keeping on". "Surely your day will come". I love reading everything you write. My son, Brett, finally got one in the Friend after many, many tries. I think it will publish this fall. So there's hope.

JeNeale said...

Congrats on rejection letter #2! At least you're doing it, Laur, and I'm so proud of you. I so wish I had your talent for creative writing.

And I can testify that Rachel's sister, Mylisa, has always been an amazing writer, since we were little girls. If it took her this long, it's an eternal process.

em's scrapbag said...

Hey Laur this is your long lost roommate. So happy I found you.

em's scrapbag said...

I was so excited to find you I didn't let you know that you must never give up. Good things are headed your way. Brick walls placed in our path are not to keep us from our goals but to see how badly we want something. You will find a way over the brick wall if you want something bad enough. When my baby went to kindergarten I went to several quilt shops before I found one that was willing to let me sew displays for them at home. The owner of this quilt shop encouraged my talents and got me designing my own quilts. If I would have given up after the first 4-5 shops I would never be where I am now.
One of my favorite saying is: "You never fail until you give up." Keep at it. Great things are heading your way.