Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fool's Day

As I mentioned last year, I love to play April Fool's jokes on my children. This year I was running low on creativity so I turned to one of my favorite magazines, Family Fun, and chose one of their simple ideas.

I made a batch of jello and poured it into glasses with a straw so it looked like Kool-Aid. After it set up I put the glasses on the table with homemade pizza on each plate and called the children in. Lacey came down the stairs eagerly and after the blessing tried to take a long sip from her straw. She tried harder. Then she started giggling and said happily, "So that was your trick, mommy!" The boys, good sports that they are, tried to sip and then looked dubiously at their pizza and each other. Tiny nibbles by all. "Phew!" said Toph, "We were a little concerned about the pizza, mom."

That's it. I'm glad that very simple things still delight.

4 comments:

Josie said...

That's a fun idea and not mean at all. Although I can't imagine you doing anything mean. I'll have to remember that one.

snakeriverwalton said...

You should have done something to the pizza too! This year was tame, but last year Jared turned the doorknob around on our bedroom and locked us in our own room! We were on pins and needles this year, and he did nothing. That was almost as good as another trick.

Anonymous said...

You're so cute. April Fool's is over, but I think I'll do your trick for family night tomorrow just for fun! The girls had a good laugh writing "April Fools" on Scott's (increasing) forehead in washable marker in the middle of the night. He needs to get them back! BTW Jared's doorknob joke is still a classic in my book!

The Hills said...

You are so cute! I loved your joke and wish I was even creative enough to look in the Family Fun magazine. That's a stretch for this brain. But then again I claim that I am pregnant and hope that it excuses me:) Love you, maren