Sunday, June 20, 2010

Church in a Russian Branch

I already wrote today about an experience that I had at church here in Russia but I forgot to tell about what little I saw of church here today. The branch is very small, maybe forty people. They meet in half of a building (the other half is a beauty salon) which has been renovated. There is a long narrow room where we meet for Sacrament meeting. Then the Relief Society gathers their chairs in a circle and meets in the front of this room for Relief Society. (They do a 2-hour block here. They simply do not have the manpower to staff all the auxilliaries.) Today my mother was called to be a Primary Teacher. These little children will be so blessed. She will have a translator we think. She says, "I will prepare it completely and find visual aids. Then I will do whatever the leadership wants me to do." She doesn't know what age group, it may be all of the children (There aren't many) or it may be just one. I love the faith of my mother. I love her willingness to serve in whatever way, in whatever capacity, whenever and wherever she is needed. What an incredible example she and my father are to me.

Here is a picture of the chapel.

Here is a picture of the stairs that go up to the primary room and one other classroom

3 comments:

The Hills said...

I have simply adored reading your posts. It feels like just yesterday that I was there (its been 13 years) oh and I've been to that pottery factory, you should have called, I'd have given you directions:):) its a completely different world and I love that you are experiencing it. My first branch I went to had a attendance of 5 excluding myself, my parents and 2 sets of missionaries. I felt like I'd landed on Mars. I hope you are taking lots of pictures and I can't wait to hear more. Love you, Maren

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I've been missing out on incredible Hill stories! What a wonderful opportunity to go to Russia--you have such a tender, pure heart and a way with expressing yourself in words. I'm glad I can connect with you here.

Coco said...

Dear Lauralee, WOW, I can't believe you saw my blog. Thanks so very much for your kind words! We are kindred spirits! I too am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and I am from Idaho!! Your blog is beautiful, I love your pictures, especially the one of the temple. I haven't had time to read it, but look forward to it. Can I ask why you were looking up Precious Jepardy? I truly love those words! Love Colette