Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mystic Connecticut Aquarium

Grammy is in town visiting and today she treated our family to our first aquarium visit. We packed a lunch and drove from New Hampshire, down through Massachusetts and into Connecticut. We are staying the night at a hotel here and currently Lincoln is asleep in our room while Grammy, daddy, and the big kids swim in the hotel pool.


I loved going with my family to the aquarium today and I wanted to record some of the memories of the day while they are fresh in my mind. My very first memory of the aquarium is the inside of the family bathroom where I was changing Lincoln's soggy diaper. I'll spare you the details of that.

As I caught up with my family, there was a great deal of excitement. "Mom, you have got to see this!!" We stood outside a huge enclosure where 10 Beluga whales were swimming and calling to each other. I started to cry behind my sunglasses. I felt incredible reverence and gratitude to the Maker of these unbelievable animals. I'm not sure what it was about the whales and dolphins in particular that was so awe-inspiring. I mean, I have never looked at a cow and burst into tears unless that cow happened to be standing on my foot. Wandering through the incredible exhibits and seeing for the first time so many animals that I have never before seen caused me to feel reflective and grateful. Maybe that is the difference between the cow and these aquatic animals - simply that you just don't see animals like this every day. I felt honored and privileged to simply see them with my own eyes.



A couple of funny sidenotes:
1. Lincoln hated the hotel swimming pool and screamed the entire time he was in the water except a 30-second span during which he drew breath.

2. Lacey Grace was constantly touching Lincoln; hovering over him, holding his hand, taking toys and snacks away from him that she didn't think he should have, and in general, driving him crazy. In response, he screamed. And wailed. And screamed. You parents in the audience may be able to relate to the horrific, ear-splitting, constancy of an 18-month-old screaming every 7-8 seconds and what it can do to even the calmest parent. At one point in the hotel stay, Jay called out in agony, "Lacey Grace, please don't touch the baby EVER again!" I laughed out loud for a very long time. Lacey looked offended, then puzzled, then burst into laughter as well, as if to say, "Good one, dad!"

3. Jay and I were driving in the van to get swim diapers (What a waste of money!)and talking about how dangerous it is to judge other people's children and their parenting skills. A few hours later while standing outside an exhibit at the aquarium we heard the tour guide emphatically state, "Please do not dangle things over the exhibits...even cameras...even if you are trying to get a really great picture!" I looked at Jay and stated, "That's one of our children irritating the guide." "I know," he sighed. We hurried toward the enclosure hoping we were wrong and saw the tour guide. Standing right next to her was our son, looking very happy and energetic (or "hypergetic", as he refers to himself as a toddler and we don't have the heart to tell him that even though he's nine, nothing has changed). He was holding his brother's camera and looking very pleased with himself.



6 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

It was so fun to see a picture of everybody. I agree that we should never criticize other's children because every single time I have done so out loud, one of my children does the exact same thing about a week later. Just like if I actually tell Ryan someone at church irritates me, they are made my new VT companion within the month. I need to learn to just never talk.

Ada's Girl said...

Loved seeing the pictures. The children have grown up so much. What a fun outing.

Ada's Girl said...

I forgot to tell you that once when I was at Sea World in Florida we went to the whale show. When the first one jumped out of the water with such grace I started to cry at the beauty and the overwhelming something of it. I looked over at my friend and she was crying too. We then laughed at each other wondering if we were a little crazy. So You're not alone.

Tanni said...

That is a great story, I also cry at the beach when I see sea animals or at sea world. My girls think I am a big baby cause I cry all the time. I love that Lincoln hated the pool. My youngest is terrified of water if she can not control how she is entering into it. So I can relate to that. I'm so glad I can see and read all this fun stuff about you guys.

Bryan Wilde said...

It's so true about judging others' parenting skills. I used to know how to parent in all situations. I had all the answers. Until 13 years ago when we received a little challenge of our own. And then 4 more that followed. They take you to the wall in ways you can't experience in any other way. But you shared a glimpse or two of the joys of it all as well.

Melissa can tell you of some of the scariest bathrooms she ever had to brave in the back of supermarkets, all because somebody had to "go."

Josie said...

You figured out the picture thing! Yay! That sounded like such a fun trip. I love the part about Jay telling Lacey not to touch Lincoln EVER again. Even funnier that she laughed.

P.S. Thanks for the prayers. I'm doing much better than I expected, due to many prayers, I'm sure.