Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

I just put down the best book I have ever read. Hands down. I am desperate to talk to someone about it but I have a feeling that if I call someone now, I'll just start crying and embarrass myself.

I've seen this book sitting on the library shelf in the children's section but the cover is unappealing to me and I've never picked it up. Recently, I saw the book at the home of my friends, Mindy and Nate Johnson. I was not feeling well and picked it up to read quietly while resting. It was new. It would have been in very poor form to ask to borrow it when they'd only just gotten it, but I was sorely tempted. After reading the first 50 pages or so in that initial sitting I just had to know what Edward Tulane learned and how he learned it. It was checked out at the library so I put it on hold and finally picked it up today. I read every word. I thought to myself, "This is a lovely book for children but it feels like it was written just for me, an adult."

I'm so grateful I had occasion to stop judging a book by its cover and crack it open.
I was reminded that loving and being loved is the most courageous thing I have ever done or will ever do. Thank you, Kate DiCamillo. What a beautiful story!

I'm curious to know if there are any books that have had particular impact on you, my friends. If you choose to comment on this post, will you please tell me about a book that meant the world to you?

7 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

I can't wait to put this book on hold myself. I lvoe good book recommendations. This may seem like a corny, overdone one, but I've always loved The Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett. It has lasted as my favorite book since I was a child. Another favorite as an adult that I have reread several times is Complications by Atul Gawande, a compilation of essays on medically related topics that is just so interesting!

Marisa said...

Books should challenge you. In that sense, The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo is my recommendation.

$

Marisa said...

For some reason, I have vivid memories of all the kids crowded on my mom's bed listening to her read "May the Circle be Unbroken" by Mildred Taylor (the sequel to "Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry.") I need to read it again to see why it has stayed with me so long. I remember somehow relating to this little black girl in the south...and feeling such great sorrow at the bitterness and hatred in her world. I think it shaped some of how I view the world -- but that's a separate post! I think it's given me empathy when I *still* see bitterness and disregard for others based on things they have no control over.

Thanks for the reminder. I can't wait to read about Edward Tulane. Did you read it to your kids? Is it a book kids would enjoy?

Wow, I have never been one for succinctness...sorry Laur!

The Hills said...

I love your posts. Can't wait to see you guys soon.
Last Child In The Woods by Richard Louve. The greatest quote is from a 4th grader who says, "I prefer to play indoors because that is where all the outlets are." It discusses the "Nature deficit disorder" (not and official diagnosis, but works for me) and ideas to do with children to keep them interested in the outdoors.
Jared

Anonymous said...

Oh I loved Edward Tulane too! I'll never forget reading it to Elise in her bedroom and weeping together. It's one of those magical books. I know this is so cliche now because everybody on the planet loves it--but I loved Harry Potter. We read/listened to them as a family after all 7 were out--so one right after the other. In some ways, I wish I could forget about them so I could have the experience of discovering them again. Another truly delightful book series are the Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters. They are best listened to on a headset when you are doing tasks you don't want to do--like folding laundry late at night. The narrator is amazing--it is like watching a play to listen to her. The first one in the series is "Crocodile on the Sandbank" read by Barbara Rosenblatt. It makes housework fly by!

JeNeale said...

Wow, it's pretty much impossible to narrow down the list, but I'd have to say that My Antonia, Tuesdays with Morrie, and The Selfish Giant (also a children's book) are some of my favorites. I'm looking forward to reading Tulane and the books everyone else has recommended. Makes me want to get on my goodreads.com site and do some updates and check some things out!

Ada's Girl said...

I'm going to the bookstore right now!