Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Spelling Bee

Topher competed in the school spelling bee today with 14 other contestants. I sat in the audience by myself sweating and muttering under my breath in the agony only a mother whose child is under pressure can understand. Jay stood, as cool as a cucumber, in the back with the video camera and Lacey Grace and Ronan sat on the floor near the front where they could see better. Sitting in the seat next to me was Tom Bennett, father of Shannon, who was also competing. He, like Jay, sat placidly looking on. It was all I could do not to grab his arm and squeeze like crazy when Topher stood to spell.

This is not the first time I have experienced distress of this nature. Two years ago Toph had to do a solo tap dance at his year-end dance recital. This was not because he was a fabulous dancer or even because he was the only boy. It was because not another soul had signed up for his class that year and, as the children dance by class, he was a solo act. When he came out onto the stage to perform I began to writhe in my seat. At a crucial part of the number he forgot a few steps and looked puzzled. I began to pummel Jay in the thigh with my fist. After a 4 beat eternity, Topher came back in and flawlessly finished. I was exhausted. Jay was bruised. Topher was exhilarated.

Topher came in 3rd place this year. I am proud of him. And tonight I will sleep like a baby, worn out from the strain of sitting very, very still, full of maternal tension and having no one beside me to pummel or squeeze.

4 comments:

Jay Hill said...

Did you notice that I was far away, in the back, "videotaping". I may be slow, but I'm not stupid. Ha.

I'm very proud of Topher. He was cool, and composed and a very gracious 3rd place winner.

Thanks Lauralee, for documenting these events in such a wonderful way.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it! I just felt like I experienced the whole spelling bee and tap dance with you. I've been there and know EXACTLY what you're talking about. When my daughters dance on stage they might as well be a solo because they are the ONLY ones I can keep my eyes on. I've very impressed with Topher's diverse talents. It takes a lot of grace to dance a solo on stage and even more so to be a 3rd place winner. One of our family's favorite movies is "Akeelah and the Bee." You've seen it right? Thanks for the sweet post tonight--loved it.

snakeriverwalton said...

I luv a guud speleeng bea! Toufr sownds sow aahsum! Dount worie, menn arr dzust knot az guud aat shoueeng emoshun.

Ada's Girl said...

This brought back memories of when my boys were on the wrestling team. It's one on one and exhausting to watch; our muscles tensed for the whole time, and holding our breath pushing into each other until the end. So stressful. Brett had to win in the first or second period or he had no breath to take him to the end because of his exercize induced asthma. Congrats to Topher and to you for surviving.