Sunday, February 15, 2009

Virtual Valentine's Day

Jay and I had such a fun Valentine's date last night. We went to a little restaurant in Keene for sushi. I had a yummy sweet potato avocado summer roll and Jay had his favorite roll - spicy tuna and a fabulous bowl of hot and sour soup. The food was real but the rest of the evening was make-believe and lots of fun.

We went to Border's Book Store for an evening reminiscent of college days.

Challenge #1 - Virtually dedicate the perfect song. We each had 10 minutes to go through the C.D.'s and find THE perfect song. Then we listened to the first 1/3 of our respective songs (that's all you get) on those little listening machines.
Jay's dedication to me - Kenny Chesney's You Save Me
My dedication to Jay - Michael Buble's version of How Sweet It Is

Challenge #2 - Virtually take each other on a romantic getaway. We had 10 minutes to find a picture representing the destination.
Jay's trip for me - Greece (We've always wanted to go there)
My trip for Jay - The Tetons where we spent our honeymoon and many subsequent anniversaries. We haven't been there for 5 or 6 years now and we miss those trips.

Challenge #3 - Virtually buy each other a fabulous gift. You guessed it - 10 minutes to find a picture of the gift we'd most like to give.
Jay's gifts for me - (He cheated and gave me three virtual gifts so I looked very cheap - virtually) Gift 1: Tickets to see the Broadway musical Wicked. Gift 2: A trip to the Dominican Republic where I served my mission. Gift 3: A trip to Greece (We had so much fun the first time we decided to go back right away.)
My one, solitary gift to Jay - A gorgeous fully-restored 1950's cadillac
If I had virtually bought another gift for Jay I would have chosen a Mac Notebook (the new Macintosh laptop is definitely something to drool over). I would have built him a virtual studio/office over our garage but I already gave him that for his 40th birthday, (virtually, of course). And, oh, alright, I would also have bought him a great big drooling virtual bull mastiff since he has that studio over the garage where he can keep him.

For me, this was such a fun night. It was so cool to realize that Jay still knows exactly what I most love and I hope I made good virtual choices for him. Extravagance without a price tag was so much fun last night. And the company was great, too.

I'm putting my request in for our 17th anniversary right now - a digital Baby Grand, if you please, honey!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay--this is so fun. Whose idea was this anyway? I love it. What else do you guys do for dates? I'm taking notes. I love how you are (virtually) becoming my best friend. Thank you for the fun idea!

JeNeale said...

What a great idea! Did you come up with this clever thing or was it a suggestion from someone? I think Greece sounds heavenly!

Marisa said...

What a romantic, thoughtful Valentine's Day! Your gifts and songs are perfect for you two!

Josie said...

Oh my heck! What a fun idea. I hope I can remember this for Taylor and myself sometime. How creative.

Jay Hill said...

Lauralee, thanks for a great idea and an incredibly fun evening. You are a brilliant woman!

snakeriverwalton said...

That is a great date idea. We're still pretty stuck in the grocery store rut, but I know how jay enjoys that, so it may not seem like a rut for you guys.

Ada's Girl said...

Love the virtual presents. What a wonderful idea. I think I'll spread it around to my kids.