Saturday, March 15, 2008

Branch Talent Show

The branch talent show was lots of fun. Our family was last on the program. We did a piano quintet. Lacey Grace walked to the piano first and played a D over and over again. Ronan was next and played the melody Skip to My Lou while Lacey continued playing her D. Topher came in next and played a bass accompaniment, Jay next with more in the Bass Clef and then I came last with a jazzy treble part. All five parts sound great together and it's fun to hear them built. Then one by one we went out as we had come in starting with me while the others continue playing on down to Lacey. When only Lacey Grace is left she plays her solitary D several times and then stands up and does a magnificent curtsy. Everybody did a great job! If any of you are wondering if I wrote this number I regretfully confess, "No, I didn't. But I wish I had." My brother Kelly saw it performed on his mission, written by one of the moms in the ward in Canada and memorized all the parts so his family could one day perform it. So, thank you Sister from Manitoba. You are brilliant and we had fun. Pictures forthcoming. Also, there are now some pictures posted on my pinewood derby entry. (Thanks, Jay!)

We went maple sugaring today. Our Branch President's operation was named Best Maple Sugaring in New Hampshire by Yankee Magazine. The kids got to carry buckets of sap from trees to the sugar house, got to ride in the tractor-pulled wagon to collect the sap from huge containers in the woods, got to hang out in the sugar house (if heaven has a smell I think it must smell like maple sap being boiled down), and got to taste the original sap and then the finished syrup. It was a wonderful afternoon. Each child came home with their own little bottle of syrup and the family has a larger bottle.

3 comments:

Jared and Maren said...

PLEASE send it to me...I love the idea and can only imagine the sound. What a great family talent:)

JeNeale said...

I want a copy of the music, too. It sounds like it was a blast, and I'm sure your family was the hit of the show.

I loved reading about maple sugaring. Our poor children here in Nampa, Idaho, will never have that experience, but they do get to smell the sugar BEET factory all of the time. And the sugar beets lying on the side of the road are an added bonus. . .

Unknown said...

I would love to have heard your musical number. That will be your talent number when you come to Boise --yea!! The maple sugaring sounds like a blast. Wish I could have been there. Love you all!