Thursday, March 13, 2008

You might be a redneck

Whenever I change a diaper I put it in a grocery bag, tie it up and chuck it across the garage, over the van and into our enormous pile of garbage waiting for Jay to make a run to the "transfer station" (fancy word for dump except they haul the garbage away). Occasionally my aim is a little off and the diaper ends up on top of the van. I leave it there knowing that I will certainly see and remove it before I go anywhere. Sadly, this doesn't always happen and I drive around with a diaper on the roof. It never blows off because we have a luggage rack that keeps it securely in place. Today, while babysitting my friend's little boy I changed a very, very, very, infinity stinky diaper and tossed it in the direction of the garbage pile. It, of course, landed on top of the van and I of course, forgot and drove to a friend's house. Upon exiting the house, I saw the "baggage" and took it off the roof, placing it inside the car on the passenger seat until we got to the store where I could dispose of it. About one minute into the trip the smell was so overpowering that I stopped the car in the middle of the road (this is the country, you know). "What are you doing, mama?" queried Lacey Grace. Wordlessly, I grabbed the "diaper bag,"
stepped out of the van, and chucked it back on top of the roof.

4 comments:

Jay Hill said...

This is true. One day Lauralee and I met each other for lunch at the one restaurant within 10 miles of here. Before she left to go home, I took another "diaper bag" off the van and stuck it in the dumpster.

By the way, if you want to read the deleted post, check out JeNeale's tagged post.

JeNeale said...

BA HA HA HA HA!! That is a great story! I would have paid to see you on the side of the road putting a bag with a stinky diaper on the roof of your car. You keep life interesting, Laur. Love you.

Unknown said...

What's with stinky diapers? You have something going with Maren and Jared? When they are at my house they throw them on the front porch and forget to put them in the trash can before they go home. We love you all anyway! You need to take a picture for your blog.

Marisa said...

Ha! I make Spencer be my "runner" out to the big garbage. He holds the bag like it's nuclear waste.

I still have the picture of Jay and Cash with toilet paper up their noses while Jay changed Topher. It's a classic.